Friday, November 17, 2006

The yarn haul



Gadi, 10 years old, very kindly took a picture of me modelling Gloria, from Jane Ellison for Noro, as promised. This link shows another Gloria that suffers from the same problem that my does!I still think it's too big, but my kids think it is perfect, as long as I block out the curly edges! I will block and see.




Wow, I have to send Oli on another yarn shopping spree! He chose some great stuff from Stitches D.C., but I think the owner must have been delighted when he walked in. He bought me two different colours of Lorna's Laces sock yarn in Motherlode and my all time favourite, Black Purl.It was cheaper than in England, so I was really pleased. I wanted some Koigu, but the shop didn't stock it. He also bought two skeins of Magic Ball by Be Sweet, made in South Africa. The women who make it are part of a community project and proceeds from the yarn go back to them. It is baby mohair and other yarn oddments, such as ribbon. The store has an online scarf pattern which I am going to try. I was a little surprised at how expensive it is, but what a treat! Oli brought back the Lantern Moon rosewood circular needles I requested. The store owner persuaded him that I would need 66cm long and 41cm long needles in the same size. I definately don't, but never mind!



Oli also brought back a yarn order from Knitpicks. I had it delivered to a friend in Washington as they won't send anything overseas. It is a real shame as the yarn is great and the prices are even better. I ordered some gloss sock yarn, it is merino with 30% silk in it. It is really nice and soft, with a slight sheen. I have decided to use it to knit a loop stitch cardigan from Vogue Knitting, Winter 2005/6. First I have to finish everything I have on needles. I got my hands on some double pointed 2.75mm needles which seem quite hard to come by in the U.K. They also sent some Eucalan wool wash, again unavailable here. It is great in the washing machine and as handwash, as it doesn't need rinsing out. Finally I now have my hands on a copy of the Magic Loop booklet by Bev Galaskas. I am hoping to learn how to knit socks and gloves using one circular needle.

No comments: